A proactive and engaged dairy calf and veal industry in Ontario.
Veal Farmers of Ontario provides leadership to promote industry growth and viability through collaboration, innovation, marketing and education.
About Veal Farmers of Ontario
On April 1st, 2015, the Veal Farmers of Ontario (VFO) came into force as a regulated marketing board under Regulation 272/14 and Regulation 58/15 of the Farm Products Marketing Act.
VFO is responsible for collecting licence fees (also known as check-off) in the amount of $5.50/head on veal cattle. This change will also be reflected in Regulation 54 of the Beef Cattle Marketing Act (BCMA) which states that cattle sold for the production of milk, and now veal as described below, will be exempt from licence fees under the BCMA.
Under these new regulations, “veal cattle” are defined as:
- Dairy bob calves (Holstein male calves or Holstein freemartin female calves) each weighing no more than 125 lbs (56.7 kg); or
- Calves of any breed that are to be sold for slaughter to a processor and the carcasses of which are to be processed into veal within the meaning of the Livestock and Poultry Carcass Grading Regulations.
However, the VFO, BFO and the Commission all recognize that common commercial practices in the industry will not necessarily fit within these definitions at this time so, as we work on practices, all parties have agreed that:
- Licence fees for all dairy bob calves will be directed to VFO (regardless of how they were sold)
- Licence fees for all veal calves sold by veal producers direct to slaughter will be directed to VFO, regardless if they grade as veal or not (this includes both milk-fed and grain-fed veal)
- Licence fees for all live calf sales (excluding dairy bob calves as described above) at auction or by private treaty, even if the intent of the seller is to sell for veal, will remain directed as BFO check-off.
The following forms required for the remittance of the veal licence fees:
- Form 1 Veal Producer/Marketer Registration Form
- This form only needs to be completed once so that we have your information on file
- Form 4 Licence Fee Remittance Form
- Form 5 List of Veal Cattle Sellers Information Report
- Form 6 Seven Day Dealer Exemption Statement
- 2019 Monthly Licence Fee Remittance Worksheet
- 2020 Monthly Licence Fee Remittance Worksheet
Please click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions about the VFO Licence Fees.
If you are involved in the veal industry and interested in obtaining a non-voting VFO Associate Membership to receive the magazine and important industry updates, return this form to our office.